Take your sandwich game to the next level with this Artichoke and Mushroom Grilled Cheese Sandwich!Jump to Recipe
Take your sandwich game to the next level with this Artichoke and Mushroom Grilled Cheese Sandwich! A delicious veggie option!
If I’m ever in a situation where I’m offered a last meal, that meal would almost certainly be artichokes. Even as a kid, I loved those weird green veggies that look fairly alien and I’ve been pricked by errant artichoke leaves more times than I can count, but it’s always worth it.
My favorite way to eat artichokes is just plainly steamed (I have a trick for doing it in the microwave which cuts the cooking time in half) with a little lemon butter to dip the leaves and heart in. Honestly, I’ll eat artichokes any basically any form they’re offered to me.
Other Sandwiches You'll Love
- Artichoke Hearts - I go for the jarred artichoke hearts. If they're in oil, I'll rinse them off in a colander before cooking.
- Mushrooms - baby bellas give you the best flavor in my opinion.
- Bread - use your favorite sandwich bread.
- Butter - unsalted butter is best here
- Gruyere - sweet and salty with a slightly nutty flavor - it goes great with the other ingredients.
A few Artichoke facts for you:
Artichokes are actually a flower that hasn’t bloomed yet.
Artichokes are one of the oldest known foods in the world.
Castroville, CA is the Artichoke capital of the US, producing 100% of the artichokes sold in stores around the country. They have an artichoke festival there every year, and the first Artichoke Queen was Marilyn Monroe!
Artichokes are maybe the tastiest super food around. One large artichoke has less than 80 calories and a half a gram of fat. Artichokes also contain 9 grams of fiber and 7 grams of protein.
Subscribe to Sara's Tiny Kitchen!
Get the latest updates and recipes straight to your inbox!
I'm so glad you found my site! Take a few minutes to look around and see what else we have to offer here at Sara's Tiny Kitchen!
Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE so you never miss a new recipe!
If you make this recipe don't forget to tag @sarastinykitchn on Instagram so I can see it!! For more great recipe ideas, follow me on Pinterest!
If you liked this recipe, please leave a review and a star review below! It really helps other people find my recipes!
Artichoke and Mushroom Grilled Cheese Sandiwches
- 1 12 ounce jar of artichoke hearts drained
- 4 ounces of mushrooms sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices of Italian bread
- butter for spreading on bread
- 8 ounces shredded gruyere cheese
To Make the Artichokes and Mushrooms
- Begin by adding 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a skillet set over medium high heat.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan, and let them cook down, stirring occasionally, until well browned (about 8-10 minutes)
- Add the artichoke hearts, and cook, stirring occasionally until browned and heated through (about 5-10 minutes)
- Remove from the heat.
To Make the Sandwiches
- Butter one side of each slice of bread generously.
- Pile 1 ounce cheese on to 4 of the slices and top with ¼ of the mushrooms and artichokes. Add another ounce of cheese on top of the mushrooms, and place the top slice of bread on the sandwich. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Wipe out the skillet you used to cook the mushrooms and artichokes, and place the skillet over medium heat, and place the sandwiches in the pan. Let them cook on the first side for 4-5 minutes or until well browned. Flip the sandwiches, and let them cook on the other side for 2-4 minutes until that side is browned as well.
- Let them cool for a few minutes, cut and serve!