This breakfast casserole with sausage is a rich and decadent meal, perfect for a holiday morning.Jump to Recipe
This breakfast casserole with sausage is not your everyday meal. It's a special occasion kind of meal.
For my family, this is Christmas Morning Breakfast. My mother-in-law has been making this casserole for as long as I've known her, and for years before that as well.
And while she sometimes switches things up and tries something new, we always seem to come back to this recipe - it's just a winner.
What to serve with breakfast casserole
- White bread
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Breakfast Sausage
- Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and pepper
PRO TIP: by making the casserole the night before, on Christmas morning, all you have to do is preheat the oven and bake! So easy!
Subscribe to Sara's Tiny Kitchen!
Get the latest updates and recipes straight to your inbox!
How Long can you refrigerate breakfast casserole before cooking?
I wouldn't go any longer than 12 hours.
Can you freeze breakfast casserole?
You can! Since the meat is pre-cooked, it's fine to freeze the casserole for up to 2 months before baking. To bake after freezing, allow the casserole to defrost in the fridge for a day, and then bake as directed.
Is this a healthy breakfast?
Absolutely not, but that's why we only have it on special occasions!
I'm so glad you found my site! Take a few minutes to look around and see what else we have to offer here at Sara's Tiny Kitchen!
Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE so you never miss a new recipe!
If you make this recipe don't forget to tag @sarastinykitchn on Instagram so I can see it!! For more great recipe ideas, follow me on Pinterest!
If you liked this recipe, please leave a review and a star review below! It really helps other people find my recipes!
Breakfast Casserole with Sausage
- 8 slices white bread
- ½ cup milk
- 8 eggs
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick spray and then fit the bread along the bottom of the dish.
- In a skillet, brown the sausage and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl mix together the milk, eggs, cream of mushroom soup, and salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the bread, then scatter the sausage on top of the eggs. Cover the dish with foil, and let it rest in the fridge overnight or for 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350. Remove foil from the casserole, and top with cheese. Bake for one hour, and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before cutting.