This simple Dalgona Chococlate recipe is a delicious, no-caffeine alternative to the dalgona coffee trend of the past few years. If you have kiddos who want a drink of your fancy whipped coffee mixture, this is a great alternative to serve them!Jump to Recipe
Do you remember back in 2020 at the beginning of the pandemic - when we all thought we'd only be working from home for a few weeks and we were all baking bread, and playing Animal Crossing and making Dalgona Coffee? This Dalgona Chocolate Recipe is the whipped chocolate version of the dalgona coffee recipe. It's easy to make, delicious, and just fun to drink!
Dalgona Coffee, which took social media by storm in 2020 is originally from South Korea, and is made by mixing equal parts instant coffee powder, sugar and water until it's frothy, and then topping it over milk. The chocolate version can be made several different ways - with hot chocolate powder (my fave), with nesquik powder, or even with a mixture of egg whites and unsweetened cocoa powder.
If you like fancy non-alcoholic coffee drinks, try these Coffee Milkshakes. If you want a delicious dairy-free hot drink, try Oat Milk Hot Chocolate. Or if you're feeling a bit spicier, give this Starbucks Chai Latte dupe a try!
You only really need two ingredients to make Dalgona Chocolate - hot chocolate mix and heavy cream. You can add toppings to it though to make it a little bit more special - mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, or chocolate sauce are all delicious additions. I haven't tested this with any non-dairy milks, so I can't speak for how well this would work as a vegan option, but if you try it, please let know how it goes!
- Hot Chocolate Mix
- Heavy Cream
See the recipe card for full quantities and instructions
To Make Dalgona Chocolate
- In a bowl or glass (or mason jar if you want to be a little fancy about it), whip your heavy cream either with a milk frother, an electric whisk or a handheld electric mixer. Whip until you get soft peaks. If you're making it for a crowd, you could use a stand mixer, but I don't like to drag mine out when a hand mixer will get the job done.
- Add in your cocoa powder and continue whipping until stiff peaks form. (don't add the cocoa in until you've already whipped the cream a bit - it wont whip up properly if you add it at the beginning)
- Pour your choice of milk into a glass, and top the glass of cold milk with the frothy chocolate whipped cream.
- Top the whipped chocolate with your choice of toppings, and enjoy!
PRO TIP - Don't use a hand whisk for this unless you want to work on your muscles and spend 30 minutes doing something that could be done in two.
To Make Traditional Dalgona Coffee:
- Mix together in a small bowl: two tablespoons of instant coffee, two tablespoons of hot water, and two tablespoons of sugar. Whip those together either with a whisk or electric mixer until the coffee gets frothy and increases in volume. Dollop the whipped coffee over milk, stir and enjoy!
Dalgona coffee is a great option because you CAN make it vegan. The coffee itself is vegan, and you can use your favorite non-dairy milk for the rest of it. It would be delicious with almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk, or even macadamia nut milk.
DID YOU KNOW? The word Dalgona comes from the Korean word meaning "sweet" and is also a famous Korean candy that it similar in texture to peanut brittle but similar in taste to butterscotch.
Reasons to Love Dalgona Chocolate
- It's super easy - just regular hot chocolate powder and heavy whipping cream. What could be better than hot chocolate whipped cream?
- It's an awesome dessert when you want something sweet but not too sweet.
- It doesn't take a long time to make - just a few minutes is all you need.
Ways to use Dalgona Chocolate (other than drinking it)
- Top a regular coffee with it, and make a mocha dalgona coffee.
- Eat it on top of ice cream.
- Use it as frosting for a simple chocolate cake
- Use it as a dip for fresh strawberries or raspberries.
I'm so glad you found my site! Take a few minutes to look around and see what else we have to offer here at Sara's Tiny Kitchen!
Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE so you never miss a new recipe!
If you make this recipe don't forget to tag @sarastinykitchn on Instagram so I can see it!! For more great recipe ideas, follow me on Pinterest!
If you liked this recipe, please leave a review and a star review below! It really helps other people find my recipes!
Dalgona Chocolate Recipe
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-3 tablespoon hot chocolate powder
- Chocolate chips, Marshmallows, Chocolate Syrup Optional
- Either in a bowl or a large glass, whip your cream until soft peaks form with an electric whisk or hand mixer.
- Add the hot chocolate powder, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Pour milk into two glasses, and dollop the chocolate cream on top of the milk.
- Garnish with mini chocolate chips, marshmallows and chocolate syrup; and serve!