For his birthday a few years ago, my husband only had one suggestion - he wanted something coffee flavored. I came up with a delicious coffee ice cream pie, which while delicious, was hard to transport, and difficult to cut into. So I put on my thinking cap, and these Mocha Ice Cream Cupcakes were born!Jump to Recipe
These cupcakes are a layer of Oreo crumb crust, topped with coffee ice cream, mixed with crushed Oreo's and mini chocolate chips, topped with Cool Whip and drizzled with chocolate sauce. If you want, you can change up the mix-ins or toppings to suit your tastes!
Other Ice Cream Recipes You'll Love
Reasons To Make This Recipe
- They're super fun and easy to make
- The cupcakes are easily transportable, and great for parties.
- Delicious coffee flavor as is, but you could sub in regular chocolate ice cream if you don't like coffee.
- No-Bake desserts are perfect as we head into warmer weather!
- Oreo's - you wont use the whole package, but that just leaves you more for snacking on while you work!
- Butter - unsalted butter
- Coffee Ice Cream - I like Haagen Dazs, but any coffee ice cream will do
- Mini Chocolate Chips - you want the mini chips here - regular chips are too big
- Cool Whip - Cool Whip is better than regular whipped cream for this recipe
- Chocolate Syrup - optional, but delicious
Tips and Tricks
Set the ice cream out about 30 minutes before you're ready to mix in the toppings. You want it soft enough to stir, but not melted.
Use Cool Whip for this recipe - regular whipped cream will actually melt down in the freezer. Cool Whip will keep it's shape.
If you want to make these a day or two advance, you can do that, but hold off on adding the Cool Whip until just before serving.
How do you freeze the leftover ice cream cupcakes? You can freeze these for about a week in an air-tight container. You can freeze them with the Cool Whip on and it wont lose its shape. I wouldn't recommend keeping them any longer than a week - no matter how air-tight your container is, they will start to take on freezer odors.
How long should you let the cupcakes set in the freezer? Let them set for at least 4 hours, but overnight is better.
Please Leave a Star Review below!!
If you make this recipe don't forget to tag @sarastinykitchn on Instagram so I can see it!! For more great recipe ideas, follow me on Pinterest!
Mocha Ice Cream Cupcakes
- 1 package of regular Oreo’s divided (you wont use them all)
- 4 tablespoons of butter melted
- 1 pint of coffee ice cream
- ½ cup of mini chocolate chips
- Cool Whip
- Chocolate Sauce
- Set the ice cream out to warm up. You don’t want it melted, but you want to be able to mix in the toppings easily. About 10-20 minutes at room temperature should do the trick.
- Remove 6 ounces of the Oreo’s and place them in a food processor. Run the processor until the Oreo’s are in fine crumbs that sort of hold together when you press them between your thumb and finger. If you don’t have a food processor, you can place the cookies in a bag, and whack it with a can, rolling pin, or the bottom of a skillet. Just know that the crumbs wont ever get as small this way. They’ll still be delicious though.
- Add the melted butter to the crushed Oreo’s and stir to combine.
- In a regular size muffin tin line 6 of the cups with paper liners. Add two tablespoons of the Oreo mixture into each of the 6 cups. Using a glass or measuring cup, press the Oreo’s down to create a firm crust. Set the muffin tin in the fridge to chill while you mix the ice cream.
- Take another 3 ounces of Oreo’s and crush them in the same manner you crushed the crust Oreo’s.
- Scoop the ice cream out into a large bowl. Add the crushed Oreo’s and the mini chocolate chips and stir until well combined.
- Add about ⅓ of a cup of the ice cream mixture to each cup. Top off as needed once all the cups are filled.
- Place the muffin tin in the freezer and freeze for at least 4 hours. Overnight is better.
- Once you’re ready to serve, scoop Cool Whip into a piping bag with a large round tip, and pipe the Cool Whip onto the cupcakes. Drizzle chocolate sauce on top.
- Any uneaten cupcakes can safely go back in the freezer for up to a week. The Cool Whip topping wont melt.