Oat Milk Hot Chocolate is a great alternative to traditional Hot Chocolate! It's rich and creamy and a great way to warm up as the days get colder.Jump to Recipe
I had oat milk for the first time just a few months ago, and instantly fell in love. It's rich and creamy and delicious, and I think it adds such a cozy feeling to warm drinks! I've been looking for recipes to use it in ever since then, and this Oat Milk Hot Chocolate is a winner for sure!
Other Recipes You'll Love
If you want more oat milk, check out my Oat Milk Chai Latte. If you want something a little more refreshing, take a look at Blueberry Lemon Soda. For a fall feel, you could make either Vanilla Pumpkin Spice Creamer or Maple Syrup Milkshakes. For a party feel, check out Pina Colada Mocktails.
- Oat Milk - a great dairy free option, and the backbone of this recipe
- Vanilla - optional, but it adds a great flavor
- Cocoa Powder - use whatever brand of cocoa powder you prefer. I used Scharffen Berger
- Sugar - I used regular sugar here, and haven't tested the recipe using sugar alternatives.
- Whipped Cream - optional, but always recommended
- In a saucepan add the sugar
- Add the cocoa powder
- Add 1 tablespoon of the oat milk.
- Stir this to combine
- Add the oat milk and vanilla and then heat over medium high heat until it boils.
- Allow to cool a bit, and serve in mugs with whipped cream
Subscribe to Sara's Tiny Kitchen!
Get the latest updates and recipes straight to your inbox!
This isn't sweet enough for me.
I personally prefer a less sweet hot chocolate, so if you want this to be sweeter, double the amount of sugar.
Can I make this in the microwave?
You can! To make it in the microwave - mix sugar, cocoa powder and tablespoon of milk, and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Then add 1 cup of milk to the mug, and heat in the microwave again for 2-3 minutes.
This isn't actually dairy free
It's not. I don't drink oat milk because I'm dairy free but because I like the taste. If you need it to be truly dairy free for dietary reasons, but out whipped coconut cream for the whipped cream, or just leave it off altogether. It'll still be delicious!
I'm so glad you found my site! Take a few minutes to look around and see what else we have to offer here at Sara's Tiny Kitchen!
Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE so you never miss a new recipe!
If you make this recipe don't forget to tag @sarastinykitchn on Instagram so I can see it!! For more great recipe ideas, follow me on Pinterest!
If you liked this recipe, please leave a review and a star review below! It really helps other people find my recipes!
Oat Milk Hot Chocolate
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 3 cups oat milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a saucepan combine sugar and cocoa powder. Add 2 tablespoon of the oat milk, and stir together until smooth.
- Add the rest of the milk and vanilla, and heat over medium high heat on the stove for 7-10 minutes or until the mixture just begins to boil
- Let the hot chocolate cool just a bit, and then divide between two mugs and top with whipped cream.