Roasted Delicata Squash and Red Onions is an easy side dish for fall. It's warm and cozy and full of fall flavors. Take advantage of fall produce and make this today!Jump to Recipe
Roasted delicata squash and red onions was one of the very first recipes that went up on my blog several years ago. It's one of my all times favorites, but gets no love because honestly everything I made in those days looks like kind of a mess.
However, this is a truly great recipe, so I decided to give the pictures a bit of a facelift as well as the post in the hopes that more people will love this dish as much as I do.
Other Recipes You'll Love
- AIR FRYER POTATOES WEDGES WITH A1 MAYO
- ROASTED YUKON POTATOES WITH CAPER VINAIGRETTE
- AIR FRYER FROZEN GARLIC BREAD
Why You'll Love this Recipe
Delicata squash - this is a squash that's typically only available in the fall, which makes this recipe a little more special in my eyes.
Flavorful - Red onions take on a wonderful almost smoky flavor when they're roasted that compliment the sweet squash really well.
Hands Off - aside from the cutting, all you have to do is toss everything together on a baking sheet and let your oven do the work.
Customizable - If you cant find delicata squash, you can substitute another kind of winter squash (butternut, acorn).
Tips and Tricks
- Because you're not peeling the squash make sure to wash it really well before roasting. This is a good rule of thumb for a lot of vegetables that leave the peels/skins on.
- For a really pretty presentation, cut each of the ends off of the squash, then slice into rings, and remove the seeds from inside the rings. I love the look of the squash when it's cut this way.
- Store your squash at room temperature, ideally in a room that doesn't get a ton of direct sunlight, and it should keep well for several weeks.
Subscribe to Sara's Tiny Kitchen!
Get the latest updates and recipes straight to your inbox!
How to pick a good delicata squash:
Delicata should be yellow in color with green stripes along the ribs. It should be firm, and feel heavy. If there are any soft spots at all, skip that one and find a better one.
What does delicata squash taste like?
It's a sweet squash that tastes like a hybrid of butternut squash and sweet potato. It's a great flavor!
What are some other ways to eat this squash?
One of my favorites is to add the squash and red onion to a salad and top it with some parmesan cheese and balsamic vinaigrette!
I'm so glad you found my site! Take a few minutes to look around and see what else we have to offer here at Sara's Tiny Kitchen!
Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE so you never miss a new recipe!
If you make this recipe don't forget to tag @sarastinykitchn on Instagram so I can see it!! For more great recipe ideas, follow me on Pinterest!
If you liked this recipe, please leave a review and a star review below! It really helps other people find my recipes!
Roasted Delicata Squash and Red Onions
- 1 large or 2 small delicata squash cut into rings or half moons
- 1 red onion sliced into wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Parsley to garnish
- Preheat oven to 425
- Wash the outside of the squash well and slice into rings. Remove seeds and pulp with a grapefruit spoon or a knife.
- Cut onion in half and cut into wedges. Leave the root end of the onion intact so that the wedges stay together.
- Toss the squash and onions with the olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes or until squash pierces easily with a fork.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and parsley and serve!