These Smashed Fingerling Potatoes are an easy side dish that's fancy enough for special occasions, but simple enough for a Tuesday night.Jump to Recipe
Smashed Fingerling Potatoes are a little bit time consuming, but the time is mostly hands off, and you'll be rewarded with creamy, crispy potatoes that go with everything!
Start by par-boiling the potatoes for about 10 minutes, then smash them with a glass(a great way to get out aggression) and brush with a delicious salt and vinegar style garlic butter, then roast for 30 minutes on high heat until you end up with potatoes that are soft and fluffy inside and crispy and crunchy on the outside. Dip them in ranch or ketchup, or enjoy them as is!
If you love potatoes, but want to use your Air Fryer, check out Air Fryer Diced Potatoes. Roasted Yukon Potatoes with Caper Vinaigrette is a great easy side dish that goes well with chicken, pork, or beef. If you like your potatoes mashy, check out Boursin Mashed Potatoes.
- Fingerling Potatoes
- Vinegar (You can use any vinegar you like - I wouldn't recommend Balsamic though)
PRO TIP: If you're not into the salt and vinegar combo, leave the vinegar out, reduce the salt to 1 tsp, and make the rest of the recipe as is.
How to Make Crispy Smashed Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
Full recipe and directions can be found in the recipe card.
Tips and Tricks
- If your butter starts to solidify during before the 2nd coating of the potatoes, that's okay - just brush the more solid butter over, and the heat of the potatoes will melt it right away.
- Start the potatoes in cold water instead of adding them to already boiling water. This will help the potatoes cook more evenly.
- Give the potatoes room on the baking sheet while roasting to ensure they get crispy. Use two baking sheets if necessary.
They're called fingerlings because their shape loosely resembles fingers!
Fingerlings cook really quickly. They don't need to be peeled, and their skins are sweet and crisp nicely!
I'm so glad you found my site! Take a few minutes to look around and see what else we have to offer here at Sara's Tiny Kitchen!
Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE so you never miss a new recipe!
If you make this recipe don't forget to tag @sarastinykitchn on Instagram so I can see it!! For more great recipe ideas, follow me on Pinterest!
If you liked this recipe, please leave a review and a star review below! It really helps other people find my recipes!
Smashed Fingerling Potatoes
- 1 24 oz bag of fingerling potatoes
- 6 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoon vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400. Boil potatoes for 10-15 minutes or until you pierce the potato with a knife or a fork with no resistance.
- While potatoes boil melt butter in a bowl, then add the garlic, salt and vinegar. Set aside.
- Once potatoes are done boiling, drain them and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment or foil. Smash the potatoes with the bottom side of a glass until ½ inch thick. Brush the smashed potatoes with the garlic butter mixture, then bake for 15 mintues.
- After 15 minutes, remove the potatoes and brush again with more of the butter, then bake another 15 minutes.
- Serve right away.