Classic Oreo Cookies are dipped in melted white chocolate and decorated with sprinkles to celebrate Valentine’s (or Galentines) Day.
The last time I was inside a restaurant to eat was Friday March 13th, 2020. The world basically shut down the following Monday, as we all know. And I know that indoor dining has been a revolving door since then, but given that I still don’t feel safe in a crowd, I am doing the majority of my eating at home these days. Valentine’s Day is no exception.
My husband and I have never made a big deal about Valentine’s Day, and I don’t see that being any different this year. But as a food blogger, you’re contractually obligated to produce at least one cute V-Day dessert, and given that I’ve been focusing my energy elsewhere for the past few weeks, I thought that this quick and simple dessert was the perfect answer to that.
Chocolate dipped Oreo Cookies are incredibly quick to prepare – really only the time you need to melt the chocolate, and the rest of the time is just waiting for the melted chocolate to set back up again.
White chocolate is incredibly sweet, so even though the recipe doesn’t make a ton, you will definitely be satisfied. If you’re bringing these to a Valentine’s Day party or pot-luck though, I would maybe double the recipe. These are going to go like hotcakes.
To Make Chocolate Covered Oreo Cookies
Melt the white chocolate over a double boiler.
If you’ve never used a double boiler before, they’re incredibly simple. In a small pot, bring about an inch of water to simmer over medium heat. Place a glass or metal bowl inside the pot, making sure that the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Melt the chocolate chips slowly over the gently simmering water. Doing it this way ensures that your chocolate doesn’t burn or seize up.
Once the chocolate is melted, dip the Oreo in the chocolate, and then using a fork, turn it over so that the opposite side coats, and then place the chocolate covered cookie on a sheet pan lined with wax paper.
Once all the cookies are covered, and the chocolate is still a little bit wet, add the sprinkles or whatever decorations you choose to the top. Don’t wait for the chocolate to set up – you want to decorate while it’s still got some give to it.
White Chocolate Covered Oreos
- 15 Oreo Cookies - regular or Double Stuffed
- 1 12 ounce bag of white chocolate chips
- 1-2 teaspoons of crisco or canola oil
- Melt Chocolate over a double boiler. (Place a bowl over a pot of gently simmering water, making sure that the bowl doesn't touch the water) If the chocolate is too thick to evenly coat the cookies, add 1-2 teaspoons of crisco or canola oil to thin it out. You can add butter or cream as well, but make sure it's room temperature or warmer, or it will cause the chocolate to seize up.
- One a at a time dip the Oreos into the melted chocolate, using a fork to lift them out.
- Placed the chocolate covered Oreos onto a sheet pan lined with wax paper.
- Sprinkle with decorating sugar or sprinkles of your choice.
- Place the sheet pan in the fridge for 20 minutes until the chcolate has set.
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a Reply